Thursday, September 16, 2010

"In reading great literature..."

C.S. Lewis once said, "In reading great literature, I become a thousand men, yet remain myself." This quote can have so many meanings for different people. For C.S. Lewis I believe this quote meant so much more than just random words coming out of his mouth. When he reads he can be whoever he wants to be. He can take himself into another world and make himself a thousand different men. Yet, when he is finished with the book he is still himself.
       I would assume from reading this quote that C.S. Lewis would say that reading books is something beneficial for you. It’s not like watching television; it’s a whole new world you can explore.  Reading can take you places that you have never been before. It can open up your imagination. There is really no limit when you are reading a book.
     Personally, I love reading. It’s the one time out of my day that I can escape. I can read any genre of book and live in that time. Reading can be the most exciting thing I do all day. I know, I sound like a total nerd but I have a love of imagining things. I love just being able to get into a good book and drown in the story line. If you don’t read I encourage you to at least try.
      I have read many of C.S. Lewis’ books and he is brilliant; the way he uses metaphors and describes objects and places. We both seem to have a shared love of reading. It takes us places that we could never go unless the author wrote the story in that way. It’s so exciting to get a new book and dig into it. That is when we truly become, “a thousand men, yet remain myself.”

No comments:

Post a Comment